Tuesday, 7 February 2017

Small and medium sized businesses in Japan really know how to use Twitter to their advantage.

According to Kentaro Morita, Twitter’s small business marketing expert in Japan, the UK could learn a great deal from the way companies use social media in his country.

He says members of the public tend to use Twitter to discuss products, so this then becomes a search engine for anyone looking for reviews of a particular product or service. As a company, why not ask or encourage some of your customers to do the same.

His advice about what and how you should post on Twitter as a business goes like this: “Talk casually. Japanese people can find it pushy if companies Tweet only about their products, and businesses have learned to vary their Tweets.

“Around 80% of your Tweets should be about your environment: current events in your city, industry, or country, the weather, your staff, holidays, etc. The remaining 20% should highlight products and services. The exact balance is probably different in every country, but it’s something to keep in mind.”

Well, that should be easy for us Brits, we love talking about the weather don’t we? Why not make it a daily task for yourself or a member of staff, just to make a comment (or a moan) about how many clouds are in the sky each day? Just about everybody you know will be able to relate to this and it should only take a couple of minutes.

Another simple idea is simply to tell followers about your day. Mention how busy you have been, what has been the most popular product, that kind of thing. If you can throw a bit of humour in there, all the better.

Come on, don’t be shy, get tweeting! You might enjoy yourself.

https://blog.twitter.com/2016/insider-tips-what-businesses-around-the-world-can-learn-from-japan